This Korean fermented soup is excellent for gut-repair! You can choose any root veggies you desire, these are my favorite. I tend to like it spicy, if you don’t then omit the horseradish. The burdock root is a bit bitter and if you’re not used to it you may wish to start small and work up. It is excellent for liver detoxification so begin to train your taste buds.You will need a large ceramic bowl and a cover that will press the veggies down and keep them submerged at all times. I use a Le Creuset 6 quart bowl.
- 1 gallon water
- 1/2 cup ground sea salt, may need ¼ cup more depending on your climate
- ½ cup dulce (omit if you have Hoshimotos Thyroiditis or other thyroid challenges as iodine containing foods can trigger many challenges)
- 1 burdoc well scrubbed and chopped
- 1 turnip cubbed
- 1-2 parsnip chopped
- 1 daikon chopped
- 1 small red beet1 small yellow beet
- 2-3 inches ginger peeled and diced
- 2 inches horseradish peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cabbage (purple and green you choose) chopped
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 carrots chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Heat coconut or olive oil in sauce pan on moderate heat, add leaks, and cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
3. Stir in chopped apricots, (optional pecans), thyme, salt, pepper, (optional nutmeg), zest and parsley. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. You can keep it chunky or you can add to food processor with ½ cup broth and ½ cup wine, more liquid may be required to make the sauce, add a little at a time until desired consistency is reached. If you use the entire cup of wine and broth then omit the first part of step number 4 below. Depending on the size of your food processor you may need to do this in batches.
4. Place chicken in roasting pan and pour in remainder of white wine and broth. Next add leak and apricot mixture (either chunky or sauce) on top of chicken.
5. Bake covered in oven for 1-1 ½ hours or until chicken is fully cooked.
Serve with steamed broccoli or any green vegetable of your choice.