This recipe is both grain and egg free, perfect for snacks or with meals. The buns can be shaped to be small dinner roll size or larger to make a hamburger bun. It has healthy fats and no sugar. This recipe can be both transitional or fully ketogenic. The nut-meal can be substituted for extra coconut flour depending where you are in your gut repair program. The mesquite flour helps stabilize your blood sugar and the psyllium husks will support intestinal detoxification. I prefer them topped with ghee (lactose and casein free) and after gut repair, cashew nut butter. It satisfies any desire I ever may have for some kind of bread or dinner roll. I double this recipe and have frozen them and brought them on work trips
- 1 ½ cups nut meal flour (I often use half hazelnut and half Brazil nut)- If strict gut repair then substitute for coconut flour
- ½ cup ground chia seeds (chia meal)
- ½ cup psyllium husks
- 1/3 cup ground flax seeds (flax meal)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup mesquite flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cream of tarter
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon liquid vanilla or powdered vanilla (or scrape a vanilla bean pod) dash of sea salt
- 20 drops liquid stevia or to taste
- 2 cups boiling water
You can use rosemary, thyme, sage, and oregano for a savory version If you don’t have cream of tartar, use 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar with 3 teaspoons baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
2. Combine all dry ingredients first and stir them well.
3. Gradually add boiling water to the dry ingredients and incorporate well. It will bubble a little, this is normal.
4. Make sure all dry ingredients have touched the water and there isn’t any powder left at the bottom of the bowl. Use a large spoon to integrate the dry ingredients with water.
5. Next begin making your keto buns with your hands. Be careful as the mixture is still hot. I shape them into medium sized, not perfectly round, balls. For hamburger buns you want to shape them larger.
6. Place buns on a baking tray about ½ inch apart, they won’t spread out like cookies often do.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes.
8. Allow to cool on a baking tray.
Serve warm with ghee, refrigerate or freeze for longer shelf life