- 1/4 cup avocado oil, or butter, or grapeseed oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large green bell or red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 1/4 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 15- to 16-ounce cans white beans, drained, juices reserved Or soak white beans at least 12 hours and then cook until tender.
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice or 4 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion and garlic; sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.Add carrots and celery and saute for another 5 minutes.
Add chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until chicken is no longer pink outside, about 5 minutes.
Mix in chili powder, tomato paste, cumin, and oregano.
Add beans, 1 cup reserved bean juices, and canned tomatoes.
Simmer until chicken is cooked through and chili is thickened, about 25 minutes. If chili is too thick, add more bean juices.
Sprinkle with cilantro.
***The last batch I made, I added a cup of quinoa that had been cooked with chicken broth. It added a really nice texture to it!